Bromley Camera Club
Bromley Camera Club (BCC) is a voluntary organisation which needs to gather and use personal information about its members in order to carry out the running of the Club. This applies to information whether held electronically, on paper and by any analogous media held by BCC in respect of present and past members of the Club.
2 Key points for members
When you join BCC we ask you to complete a Membership Application/Renewal Form giving us the minimum personal information to enable us to run the Club, usually your name, contact details, and whether you belong to another club which BCC may compete against. By signing the Membership Application/Renewal Form you give consent to the Club holding your personal information, contacting you about your membership and Club activities, and to the use of your name and images in Club and external competitions and exhibitions and for Club publicity purposes.
Your personal information is held electronically on a password-protected computer, with the hard copy forms stored by the Membership Secretary. We will take all reasonable steps to protect the confidentiality of paper and electronic records. We will not share your personal information with anyone outside the Club without your permission other than your name, image title and image if your images are used to represent the Club in external competitions/exhibitions.
If you leave the club your personal information will be deleted or destroyed following annual review within twelve months of the Committee becoming aware that you have left. Your images will not be used for any new publicity or entered in external competitions/exhibitions after the Committee has become aware that you have left. You may request, in writing to the Secretary, deletion of your personal information and images held on the Club’s computer in writing at any time after you leave the Club and this will be actioned within one month. It may not be possible to remove all traces of your membership, which includes both text and images, in historical records such as emails, cash receipts, the Newsletter, records of internal and external competition/exhibition entries and results, and for example the Awards Evening presentation of winning images.
Members are entitled to request a printout of personal information held about them electronically or in hard copy. It is the member’s responsibility to inform the Membership Secretary of any changes. If you have any concern or complaint about the way your personal information is being managed then please contact the President.
This policy will be kept under review to take into account changes in the law and any issues arising from the policy in practice and so that BCC is compliant with the law. We will also audit the working of the policy at least annually but sooner or more frequently if indicated by events so as to be able to demonstrate that we are compliant with the law.
4 Personal information held on members:
- a) Name, email address, postal address, phone numbers, photographic distinctions and membership of other photographic clubs. In addition, the Treasurer maintains a list of members’ subscriptions, and the Secretary a list of members’ names and email addresses for the purpose of distributing the newsletter. This personal information is collated from Membership Application/Renewal Forms and subscription payments by renewing members, and is added to master lists kept by the Data Controller on a password protected computer. Personal information is used by members of the Committee to communicate with members about the Club programme, social events, meetings and other legitimate matters connected to the functioning of the Club.
Personal information is not used for any non – BCC related activities, and will not be passed on to any other organisation other than for images together with image title and author’s name in connection with external competitions/exhibitions.
- b) Lists of competition/exhibition entries and results with image titles, names of authors and electronic copies of the images. This personal information is compiled by Committee Members from information voluntarily submitted by members on entering Club competitions/exhibitions in order to manage those events and to establish the award winners at the end of the season.
- c) Records of membership fees paid and payments for other events are held by the Treasurer to account for the money and to enable him to carry out his role. Hard copy documents are kept secure and electronic data is kept on a password secured computer.
- d) The Data Controller will provide members’ personal information to those Committee Members who need such information to carry out Club activities. This will include the President, Secretary, Print, PDI and Outings Secretaries and others to the extent necessary. For example, Summer Project team leaders will need email addresses of each member of the team. Each Committee Member holding such information undertakes to access and use it on a password protected computer/device. Normally, just a name and email address should be sufficient for these purposes.
- e) As set out in the Competition and Exhibition Regulations, the Club may use images entered by members into Club competitions/exhibitions for Club publicity purposes and to represent the Club in external competitions/exhibitions, unless the entrant withholds consent in writing.
5 Access to Personal Information
Members are entitled to request a printout of personal information held about them electronically or in hard copy. The request should be made in writing to the Data Controller who will supply the information within a maximum of one month. He will also withdraw or correct any information on your written request. The Controller will keep a record of these actions and the dates they were carried out. The Data Controller holding the contact details is the Membership Secretary.
If you have any difficulty in contacting the Data Controller, please contact the President or Secretary.
6 Leaving the Club
The personal information of any member leaving the Club will deleted and/or shredded within 12 months of the Club being made aware that they have left. That member’s images will not be used for any new publicity or entered in external competitions/exhibitions after the Committee has become aware that they have left. A member may request, in writing to the Secretary, deletion of their personal information and any images held on the Club’s computer at any time after leaving the Club and this will be actioned within one month. It may not be possible to remove all traces of membership, which includes both text and images, in historical records such as emails, cash receipts, the Newsletter, records of internal and external competition/exhibition entries and results, and for example the Awards Evening presentation of winning images.
If a member does not announce their intention to leave but does not join again at the beginning of the next season, it will be assumed that they have left, and the same process will apply within 12 months of the start of the new season.
A record of this being done will be kept by the Data Controller. The Data Controller will inform Committee Members of past members whose personal information needs to be corrected or deleted and each Committee Member holding that information will confirm that it has been corrected or deleted.
7 Club Emails
Email communications to all members must always be routed through the Secretary or, in the Secretary’s absence, the President and must always be in the form of a blind copy so that recipient names are not disclosed.
All Committee Members are obliged to keep the personal information of members confidential. Contact details of one member will not be given to other Club member, other than Committee Members, without the consent of the first member.
8 Audit of the working of the Policy
This will be carried out by the President annually during the summer recess and at any intermediate time if a problem arises. A record of the audit will be kept securely by the Club Secretary